Day 4

Wednesday May 12, 2010
184 days to Marathon

PAIN
I can't walk! I can't move! I am supposed to run another 4 miles today.
It's okay, that's why they made Motrin, right? Popped 2 motrin at 7.... no change. Popped 2 more at 9.... nothin.
This sucks so bad.
So I went online and discovered DOMS: Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
Here is a great website that explains what DOMS is and ways to treat it. It apparently dispels popular myths and gets down to the nitty gritty about post-training aches and pains.

From what I was able to glean, one of the only treatments for DOMS without buying expensive gear is Contrast Water Therapy.

SO, I drew myself a hot hot bath. I added some bubbles because I was in a lot of pain and bubbles make everything better. When that was prepared, I went into the other bathroom and took a freezing cold shower for exactally 60 seconds. HOLY SHIT, that hurt SO FREAKIN BAD but I made myself stay in there while counting up to 60. When that was done, I ran to the hot bath. I might have scalded myself a bit, but it Felt. So. Awesome.
I think that bath lasted about an hour so the hot water could build up again before my final shower. I drained the tub and forced myself to take another icey shower followed by another hot blast.

Did it work? Maybe for about 5 minutes, but then my limbs were on fire again. BOOOO

There was no way I could run in these conditions and I also realized that I was starting off too fast.

I found another marathon training guide online that seemed to be more my level.

This Program starts me off walking instead of assuming that I can already run a good distance. I think I will be following this schedule to keep myself from any future injuries.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch ouch and MORE ouch. A hot bath sounds good though! Walking and nice indoor gym equipment is my level :) I used to walk around the park, but then you HAVE to finish because your car is around the other side of the lake and all, so no giving up. 3 mile walks with a kid in a wagon was just not working for me, ergo, the gym membership that I occasionally use. That is awesome that you are going to run a marathon - best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you much!
    My mom got me a gym membership one year and I never went.

    ReplyDelete