Day 1

Sunday May 9, 2010

Today is Mother's day! I woke up with breakfast in bed and a couple beautiful cards from Thing 1 and Thing 2. It was a chore having to sleep in, but I accomplished the task with no real effort. After breakfast, I was informed that My Dear Boyfriend (MDB)'s mother would be joining us for dinner so he would be grilling burgers and hot dogs. No problem, I just needed to go to the store for meat and buns, maybe a side. Then came the phone call. In a matter of seconds, my day went from relaxed to OMG, there's gonna be a gajillion guests?
I gathered up Thing 1 and Thing 2 to do some shopping. I actually made a list! We got to the store and Thing 1 and Thing 2 Would. Not. Calm. Down. Did MDB feed them sugar intraveinously this morning? I silently regretted not participating in the breakfast ritual and threw The Things into the shopping cart. Bad. Idea. They argued non-stop about who got to sit in which spot and turned my buns into smooched buns. hmmm, maybe it'll be a hit.
By the time I got back to the domicile, I was frazzled out of my mind. I had lost the list and ended up spending way too much on unnecessary items and not enough on the essentials. I dropped the kids off, put up the food, an defiantly declared that I would be going back out.... alone.Thing 1 and Thing 2 were instantly in panic mode. Amidst their screams and worried looks from MDB, I managed to escape the madness.
I thought for a bit and with my recent failure at pilates, I decided that I would reward myself with running shoes. The logic worked out fine in my mind. I went to the Nike store at the mall. Here is a sample of my spoils:

And then I got 3 technicolor sports-bras.

Oh shit! I just spent a shit load of money on gear, now I'm going to have to run?!?!
I haven't run in over 3 years!

I managed to cope by pretending the whole episode didn't happen while I socialized the evening away. The barbecue went off with no major snafus and I went to bed early forgetting about my mother's day purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment